Thursday, October 8, 2009

Cheeky Chocoholic!

Wanted.....one greedy rodent!!!! Why you ask? Well today is Thursday. You know???? Our family day when Auntie Peggy, Alyssa, and Andrew come over to share RE class and then dinner. We've been doing this for over a year now and there is a comfort to the routine. Since Uncle Peter works afternoons and cannot participate he provides the dessert. There is this 'unveiling' that happens after every one's plates are cleared and the gang is well trained to pounce on the usual chocolate baked good. So tonight's unveiling was....um....well....unique to say the least! I pulled the pan down from it's 'traditional' hiding spot and started to cut the brownies and the gang all pounced, clamoring for their 'favorite' piece. As I handed Mari her piece Alyssa casually asked what had happened to the top? I replied, "Oh it probably got pulled off on the aluminum foil." Auntie Peggy leaned over and looked and said, "Well it didn't look like that when I picked it up from Peter and dropped it off this afternoon!" I was immediately consumed...rather convulsed in laughter! You see I had to work today so Auntie Peggy had dropped it off by putting it between my screen door and the front door!!!!!!!! Remember in the skunk post how I told you that Patrick had remarked about the bold squirrel that was trying to get in our front door??? Yep, the minute she told me that it had arrived in pristine condition I saw the two little back feet impressions there to the left! He clearly pawed at the denuded spot to the right. If you enlarge the picture you can also see the hair he left behind. As I spurted out my suspicions Alyssa was the first to see the hairs and she squealed as she pointed them out. By now Mari had already taken her first bite!!!!!!!!! She gagged, spit out that still left in her mouth and began to SOB. Hugging me she begged me to assure her that she wouldn't get rabies. I was soooooo not a good Mom tonight. I was laughing too hard to show the proper level of concern. When she got even more hysterical that everyone was laughing at the fact that she had eaten the CONTAMINATED brownies I tried to assure her by saying, "There are people in Kentucky that EAT squirrel for dinner so I'm sure you'll be fine." Peggy tried to lighten the mood by asking "Do you suppose chocolate is as bad for squirrels as it is for dogs?" She did stop crying though she didn't quite get to the point of joining in our hijinks's that followed...she probably won't sleep tonight with the worry. Oh well, there's another story she'll have to tell on the therapist couch which surely looms in her future. This is one of the pictures I can post of the aftermath. Auntie Peggy sliced her piece in half and, after throwing away the top half, ate the bottom saying, "Can't let the varmints get all the good stuff!" The groans and screams of protest from the gang were comical and NOT A ONE followed suit....me included! In the light of the food crisis in Guatemala it seems so very sinful to throw away 2/3 of a pan of brownies but I just cannot get past those little HAIRS he left behind. Suburbia is just soooo NOT supposed to have this much wildlife. Guess I better start reading up on country life and survival skills since the country is deciding it likes suburban living too! Closing with a cute story from work today: As I examined one little boy, my hygienist noted that we had already seen his brother earlier. I asked, "Oh,a younger brother or an older brother?" He answered, "He's my turtle twin!" I was thinking, "Okay that's a new one. Wonder what the new generation of Moms mean by calling them Turtle Twins???" but my mouth said, "Oh, a Turtle twin! You must love being so unique as to have a special twin like that." As my hygienist and I exchanged glances of a "what the heck" nature he went on to say, "Yep we look different and that's why my Mom calls us turtle twins." I did not catch it as fast as my hygienist! Guess a little boy would hear "turtle" when his Mom said "fraternal"!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Love the funny things kids say, mostly becasue they don't get what was said! great story about the brownies! love to get cracked up early in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that turtle comment is funny -- out of the mouths of babes! my daughter's new phrase is cocky candeen for cotton candy. it just makes you laugh out loud sometimes hearing what little ones say. now on to the squirrel -- oh.my.word. i would have done the same thing as Mari. except I probably would have thrown up too. those hairs and foot prints -- oh the hairs on my arms are standing striahgt up -- grosses me out to even think about it. but what a truly funny story and one that Mari will kaugh about maybe 25 years from now -- not sooner. and I received the four jumpers yesterday. they are more beautiful than they looked in your picture. I can't wait to share them with the little girlie cousins! the princess one has glitter almost on the fabric. they are truly delightful. my daughter has not tried hers on yet. she loved it and had to find all the cars on the fabric --- lightning mcqueen, mater, the sheriff, etc, but you remember 2 year olds -- she did not want to try it on at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ROFL Poor Mari but tell her many folks here like squirrel too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OHMYGOSH!!! I am literally laughing my head off. Those squirrels are indeed bold! Poor Mari!

    ReplyDelete