Tuesday, September 8, 2009

What's that about teaching old dogs????

There has been a very common theme amongst my blog friends regarding just how fast their children are 'growing up'. Amen I say...but there is the flip side too!!! Long, long, ago in a time before Mari and Julia, I practiced my maternal skills (stop laughing Peggy) on my precious niece Alyssa. This could be the point where the story trods the well worn path of lamenting just how much little Sissa has grown up.... the fond memories of baby Alyssa dancing with me on my wedding day, the vacation to Disney World where she pretended to be Mari because the PGN had NOT released Mari's adoption file on the date promised, the sleep overs at Auntie Suz's house where she taped the fake nails on because the nail glue had dried up, and the many, many Halloween costumes we collaborated on. Like the year when she decided to be a BRIDE...... or the year of Princess Aurora! But NOOOOOOO this is the point in the story where I discuss just how much the PARENTS grow up!!! The place where I mention how we learned the names of all the TeleTubbies, the SpongeBob theme song, and now the Jonas Brothers names....(including the bonus Jonas!!). The spot where I remind you of of how these old dogs learned how to put valves into sippy cups, learned how to latch car seats, learned how to remove training wheels, and even how to download songs onto an iPod and create an avatar! Personally I've had to learn how to wean myself from Gymboree and be enthusiastic about Aeropostle and Converse, learned how to let go of sweet matching dresses and embrace the color blue, and learned how to let go of pony tails and BOWS!!!! Now as another Halloween season approaches, it has been made eminently clear that I must again 'grow up'! Our usual day of playing in my scrap bins while we thrash out a costume idea is no more. Instead I find myself at Goodwill buying these.... Oh it is soooooo obvious that Alyssa has grown up but quietly (okay maybe not so quietly) this old dog is valiantly learning how to 'do' this new trick! Gone is my role of idea guider! Gone is the time of princesses and brides! Now is the time for this Mom(Aunt) to grow up and embrace the unique, individual that is emerging! So this Halloween I will be making Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd....not exactly what I would have chosen...but it's not for me! I can do this!!! I have proven I can grow up before and I can do it again. I just wish Moms didn't have to grow up so darn fast!!! I really could use a little more time......

6 comments:

  1. very funny, and true. it's the parents who are changing (having to change) fast too, to keep up with all the new inovations of parenthood and childhood! so, is that dreadful brown and black scary lookin' witchy outfit for Alyssa? what are your girls going as?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO i couldnt agree more!!!!!!!!!!! You are sooo creative i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, soooo funny and sooooooo true!!!!! Been there and not looking so forward to it again!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. stop on by when you have a chance. I've given you a blogging award becuase you are "kreativ" and inspiring. http://lovemylittleflower.blogspot.com/2009/09/gosh-thank-you_09.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definetly have to learn the "cool" things even though you won't ever get a chance to actually "be cool" thank goodness mine is just turning 3 and thinks that I am still the best, most of the time. I'm so jealous of all your sewing, its just not something I"m good at or enjoy but would be great if I was. I loved your post of goign to the racetrack, the silks the whole day were great. You can tell your daughter up until my Hannovarian I had for dressage all of my event horses were ex-racehorses, I also retrained some for other people as well. I can say I have been to the racetrack to look at horse but have never been to a race, after knowing what I know about the racing industry I just never had any interest, but I can see if you are a horse lover and thats where you can see them that it would be awesome to go!

    ReplyDelete